Wednesday, April 10, 2024 | 14:52 WIB

Jokowi denounces attack on Asean relief convoy in Myanmar

READ MORE

Jakarta, IO – President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo condemned the shootout targeting the monitoring team and Asean agency delivering humanitarian aid in Myanmar, Monday (8/5).

He emphasized that this incident did not dampen the determination of Asean and Indonesia to call for immediate end to violence, reported IDN Times, Tuesday (9/5).

“Stop the violence, because the people will be the victims. No one will win in this situation. I invite you to sit down together to create a space for dialogue to find mutual solutions,” Jokowi said.

The shooting is said to have taken place in the town of Taunggyi in Shan state, eastern Myanmar. Diplomats from Indonesia are reportedly in the team.

The incident was confirmed by Finance Ministry spokesperson Teuku Faizasyah. He confirmed that no Indonesian diplomats were injured. “They are not harmed and have returned to Yangon,” said Faizasyah.

Read: Govt frees 20 Indonesians who fall victim to human trafficking in Myanmar

Meanwhile, Myanmar’s shadow National Unity Government, which is allied with anti-junta militias, said it was not aware of any attacks. So far, no one has claimed responsibility. (un)

POPULAR

Latest article

Related Articles

INFRAME

SOCIAL CULTURE