Update: Indonesia soccer tragedy death toll rises to 125

57
Indonesia soccer tragedy death toll rises to 125
A riot and stampede broke out Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang, East Java. (Source: Twitter @akmalmarhali)

Jakarta, IO – After initial confusion concerning the death toll in the riot at football match in Kanjuruhan Stadium, Malang, Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Muhadjir Effendy in a press conference with Sports and Youth Minister Zainudin Amali and the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) chairman Mochamad Iriawan confirmed that 125 were killed as of Sunday (2/10).

“This (latest data) has been verified by all parties, from the police, hospitals and organizer,” said Muhajir as reported by Bisnis, Monday (3/10) morning. He explained that previously there was a lot of speculation that the death toll was 130 people, but it was revised down because there was a counting error.

“Currently, 203 people are lightly injured, 21 seriously injured, and 125 people have died. Thus, the total number of victims is 448 people,” explained Muhadjir.

Read: Timnas’s FIFA ranking goes up after defeating higher-ranked Curacao

The riot in Kanjuruhan started when Arema FC supporters clashed with police officers after the team lost 2-3 to bitter rival Persebaya. The disappointed supporters then tried to invade the pitch and prompted the police to fire volleys of tear gas.

“Many were crying, screaming, because our eyes felt like burning,” said Rehan, one of the witnesses to the incident told Antara. Several cars were also badly burnt by the supporters. (rr)