IO – The US Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper met with Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto at the Pentagon to discuss regional security, bilateral defense priorities and defense acquisitions. Secretary Esper communicated the importance of upholding human rights, the rule of law, and professionalism, as the two countries expand their engagement.
Minister Prabowo expressed the importance of military engagement at all levels, and communicated his appreciation for the United States’ support for Indonesia’s defense modernization. The two leaders shared a desire to enhance bilateral military-to-military exercises and look forward to working together on regional maritime security.
Secretary Esper and Minister Prabowo signed a Memorandum of Intent, to reassert the efforts of the Defense Prisoner of War/Missing in Action Accounting Agency in recovering the remains of U.S. military personnel lost in Indonesia during World War II.
Both leaders expressed their sympathy and concern for those affected by COVID-19 in the United States and Indonesia. (Dan)
5 RI-US cooperation fields resulting from the visit made by the Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto to the Pentagon:
1. Regional security, prioritizing on bilateral defense and defense acquisitions.
2. Increase of military cooperation and maritime security.
3. Education and training cooperation for TNI troopers in various military educational institutions in the US.
4. Both Ministers of Defense agreed on the repatriation of the corpses of US soldiers who went missing in Indonesia during World War II.
5. Prabowo expresses his thanks for the ventilator aid given for COVID-19 patients in Indonesia.