Jakarta, IO – West Manggarai regency government in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) has carried out unannounced inspections of restaurants in Labuan Bajo after President Joko Widodo almost ate a dish tainted with formalin in a restaurant, reported Katadata, Thursday (27/7).
Deputy Regent Yulianus Weng said the measure also aimed to ensure food safety for guests at the ASEAN Summit, scheduled to be held from May 9-11 here, will be met.
“We want Labuan Bajo to be safe and comfortable for ASEAN Summit guests, so the food served must be safe,” said Yulianus.
Yulianus and a team from the West Manggarai Drug and Food Monitoring Agency (POM) carried out inspections at a number of restaurants. Based on the initial findings, the restaurants did not serve foods containing hazardous substance.
“We want to prove that food in West Manggari is free of formalin,” he said.
Yulianus gave assurance that if the local government found any food containing hazardous substances, stern action will be taken in the form of a harsh warning to business license revocation.
Previously, West Manggarai POM chief Andirusmin Nuryadin admitted that there were samples of foods that were tested positive for formalin content. It was immediately removed to ensure that it was not served to the president.
Formalin is a strong solution of formaldehyde in liquid form, commonly used as a disinfectant or an embalming agent. But it also used illegally to preserve vegetables, fruits, meats and seafood. (un)