KONI bribery case: Minister of Youth and Sport named suspect

159
Imam Nahrawi. (photo: Bandungkita.id)

IO, Jakarta – The Corruption Eradication Committee (KPK) has named Minister of Youth and Sports (Menpora) Imam Nahrawi as a new suspect in the alleged bribery case related to the Indonesian National Sports Committee (KONI) grant funding from the Ministry of Youth and Sports. Imam was ensnared in developing the case. “IMR, the Minister of Youth and Sports and NIU, are suspects,” said KPK Deputy Chairman Alexander Marwata, at the KPK building, Jakarta, Wednesday (18/9).

“In 2014-2018, IMR, as the Menpora through MIU as his assistant, is alleged to have received a sum of Rp 14.7 billion,” continued Alexander Marwata.

He said Imam was also suspected of asking for Rp 11.8 billion in 2016-2018. The total alleged receipt is Rp 26.5 billion. “Thus the total alleged amount received is Rp 26.5 billion,” Alexander said.

The money was allegedly a commitment fee for the management of the grant submitted by KONI to the Ministry of Youth and Sport in 2018. The receipt was also allegedly related to the Chairperson of the Satlak Prima Pengah Council and other receipts related to Imam’s position. “The money was allegedly used for the personal interests of the Menpora.”

In a hearing at the Central Jakarta Corruption Court on Thursday (12/9), the judge explained that KONI submitted a proposal. However, the proposal was not approved by the Deputy IV of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Mulyana, and the verification team. That is because the funds were to be used in 2019, while the proposals were submitted in the same year.

Mulyana and Menpora staff Adhi Purnomo finally ordered the Secretary-General of KONI Ending Fuad Hamidy to communicate with the assistant to Menpora Imam Nahrawi, Miftahul Ulum, to accelerate the process of disbursing grant funds. Miftahul is Menpora’s assistant. Miftahul had already been arrested by the KPK earlier this month.

This case is the development of a sting operation (OTT) conducted by the KPK. In the initial case, the KPK charged five suspects, namely Ending Fuad Hamidy, Johnny E Awuy, Mulyana, Adhi Purnomo and Eko Triyanto.

Ending was charged in his position as KONI Secretary-General, while Johnny was KONI’s General Treasurer. Both Ending and Johnny have been convicted in court, with a sentence of 2 years and 8 months in prison for Ending and 1 year and 8 months in prison for Johnny. Meanwhile, 3 other people, namely Mulyana, Adhi Purnomo, and Eko Triyanto, are still on trial at the Jakarta Corruption Court.

Menpora Imam as a suspect adds to the list of other Menpora who fell into KPK’s hands. Before Imam, former Indonesian Menpora Andi Mallarangeng had also been named as a corruption suspect in the procurement of sports complex facilities and infrastructure in Hambalang, Bogor, West Java, in December 2012.

On 18th July 2014, Andi was sentenced to four years in prison and fined Rp 200 million. The sentence was lighter than the proposal of the Public Prosecutor, who demanded 10 years in prison for him. (dsy)