IO, Aceh – Brawijaya University (Universitas Brawijaya – “UB”) maintained its overall championship in the 4th Teuku Umar University (Universitas Teuku Umar – “UTU”) Awards of 2018. This is UB’s hat-trick victory. The rotating trophy was awarded by UTU Rector Prof. Jasman J. Ma`ruf, accompanied by the Governor of Aceh’s Expert Staff Rahmad Fitri, during the UTU Awards Night held in UTU’s Primary Courtyard last Monday (10/11/2018).
523 student teams from 87 colleges throughout Indonesia participated in the UTU Awards: 67 universities, 9 polytechnics, 6 institutes, and 5 colleges. 60 of the participating colleges are state-owned, and 27 are privately owned. UTU Awards panel of jurists come from various prestigious higher education institutions in Indonesia: Gadjah Mada University (UGM), University of Indonesia (UI), Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), Bogor Institute of Agriculture (IPB), Diponegoro University (Undip), Minister of Research, Technology, and Higher Education (Kemenristekdikti), Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT), UB, Jogjakarta State University (UNY), UTU, Syiah Kuala University (Unsyiah), and Bengkulu University.
Here are the winners of the 4th UTU Awards of 2018, according to Kemenristekdikti’s press release:
- For Innovative Agriculture and Fishery-based Products: Farhan Khalil Sani of North Sumatra University in the First Place, Miru Arjo of Teuku Umar University in the Second Place, and Krisna Wijaya of Brawijaya University in the Third Place. Cintya Rizqi of Diponegoro University was First Runner-up, while Najamudin Arinal Haq of Teuku Umar University was Second Runner-up.
- For Entrepreneurial Advanced Research: Ari Purnomo and Lina Milatul Khusna of Diponegoro University as First Place and Second Place winners respectively, and 3 Sigit Armiyanto of November Tenth Institute of Technology in the Third Place. Inggita Revira of Brawijaya University was First Runner-up, while Muhammad Fajar Kurniawan of Bogor Institute of Agriculture was Second Runner-up.
- For Business Planning: Muhammad Ubaidillah Al Busthomi of Brawijaya University in First Place, Fahri Sinulingga of the Bogor Institute of Agriculture in Second Place, and Bella Taradipa Dewipramesti of Indonesia’s Islamic University in Third Place. Irfan Syauqi of the Bogor Institute of Agriculture was the Runner-up.
- For Teuku Umar Chess Championship: Muhmmad Khaidir of Medika Teuku Umar Medical College in First Place, Rahmad Juanda of UTU in Second Place, and Sarpin of UTU in Third Place. Rezika Rahmi of UTU was the First Runner Up, while Jauhar Maulidi Awalna of UTU was the Second Runner-up.
- For Online Shop Design: Muhammad Fahrijal of Brawijaya University was in First Place, with Taufik Akbar of UTU in Second Place and Fadhullah of UTU in Third Place. Dilta Harahap of UTUand Ferdian Al Gazali of Malikussaleh University were First Runner-up and Second Runner-up, respectively.
Governor of Aceh’s Expert Staff Rahmad Fitri stated in his address that UTU Awards is a strict competition, especially since the competed categories are in line with current trends. “It is not impossible for these students’ work to be developed into commercial products. We hope that the UTU Awards continues to become part of UTU’s academic calendar, and serve as an icon of student creativity in Indonesia,” he said.
Prof. Jasman stated that we are now undergoing a revolutional era, one that destroys the framework of a conventional economy. “We are now faced with the fact that many college graduates end up unemployed. It is not because they are unintelligent, but they are neither creative nor innovative. You cannot teach creativity and innovation in schools; it is impossible. Therefore, college students must train themselves to think out of the box and consider extraordinary things,” he said. (UB Public Relations)