Atypical progressive acute kidney disorder
Patients can be fully cured

9
dr. Mohammad Syahril, Sp.S, MPH
dr. Mohammad Syahril, Sp.S, MPH (Source: Special)

Jakarta, IO – According to a Ministry of Health report made on 6 November 2022 at 16.00 WIB, the total cumulative number of atypical progressive acute kidney disorders among children so far is 324 cases. Of these, 27 patients (8.3%) are undergoing treatment, 102 patients (31%) have healed, and 195 patients (60%) have died. According to gender division, 126 of the sufferers (39%) are female, while the remaining 197 sufferers (61%) are male. By age, the highest death rate occurs among children 1-5 years old. The illness has spread in 28 provinces throughout Indonesia, with the 10 provinces with the highest number of cases being DKI Jakarta (83 cases), West Java (42), Aceh (32), East Java (25), Banten (25), West Sumatra (22), Bali (20), North Sumatra (16), South Sulawesi (9), and Jambi (8). 

“The good news is, there is a downtrend of atypical progressive acute kidney disorder cases within the past week. In fact, for the past three consecutive days, no new cases were reported. This occurred after the Ministry of Health prohibited the administering of liquid oral medication on 18 October 2022. Nevertheless, the people are requested to remain vigilant of any symptoms and indications of the affliction among their children,” reported Ministry of Health Spokesman dr. Mohammad Syahril, Sp.S, MPH, in a press conference in Jakarta on Monday (7/11/2022).

Up to now, comprehensive studies are still underway to discover the exact cause of this spread of atypical progressive acute kidney disorder in Indonesia. “The study is being performed by experts from the Indonesian Pediatricians Association (Ikatan Dokter Anak Indonesia – “IDAI”), the Ministry of Health, epidemiologists, apothecaries, and toxicologists. So far, it has eliminated dehydration, hemorrhage, and several possible diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites. The strongest suspicion is that the biggest cause of this acute kidney disorder is intoxication or poisoning – to be precise, from the ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol found in liquid oral medications. This conclusion is arrived at after multiple blood and urine tests, as well as biopsy of the patients’ kidneys,” dr. Syahril said.