IO, Jakarta – The Corruption Eradication Commission (Komisi Pemberantasan Korupsi – “KPK”) has interrogated a number of State Islamic University (Universitas Islam Negeri – “UIN”) Rectors and Rector Candidates, bringing them forward as witnesses in the Romahurmuziy (Rommy) bribery case. KPK announced that the investigation has been mounted due to suspicion of bribery practices that might have occurred in the election of rectors in a number of UINs. “That is entirely possible. Again, investigators receive a lot of information when they interrogate citizens. It is possible that when we summon witnesses, they might declare ‘That is not all that is going on, but the rector elections are also corrupted by bribery.’ Therefore, we decided to summon these rectors,” explained KPK Vice Chairman Alexander Marwata at the Ombudsman Building, South Jakarta, on Tuesday (18/06/2019).
In terms of investigation of matters concerning these rectors, Alexander stated that investigators are checking whether the bribery methods that occur in the selection of the Head of the East Java Regional Office for the Ministry of Religious Affairs could also have occurred during the rector elections. If there is sufficient evidence of bribery in rector elections, a new case might be laid. “Whether rector elections use the same cheating methods as in the Head of Regional Office appointment or not, we don’t know yet. We will present future developments when we uncover them,” he said.
KPK has questioned at least nine persons as having participated in the Rector candidacy in several UINs, as witnesses in Rommy’s case. They were interrogated with regards to Rommy taking part in the selection that they were involved in. Rommy himself is a suspect in a bribery case for appointments of positions in the Ministry of Religious Affairs, suspected of having received IDR 300 million in bribes from former Ministry of Religious Affairs’ Head of Regional Office in East Java Haris Hasanudin and former Head of the Ministry of Religious Affairs’ Gresik Regional Office Muhammad Muafaq Wirahadi for his support in their successful selection.
This is the list of the nine Rectors and Rector Candidates KPK has previously interrogated:
1. Prof. Ali Mudlofir (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector Candidate for UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya);
2. Prof. Masdar Hilmy (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector of UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya);
3. Prof. Akh Muzakki (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector Candidate for UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya);
4. Dr. Syarif (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector IAIN Pontianak);
5. Dr. Wajidi Sayadi (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector Candidate for IAIN Pontianak);
6. Dr. Hermansyah (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector Candidate for IAIN Pontianak);
7. Prof. Warul Walidin (Civil Servant from the Ministry of Religious Affairs/Rector of UIN Ar Raniry);
8. Prof. Farid Wajdi Ibrahim (Former Rector of UIN Ar Raniry); and
9. Prof. Syahrizal (Rector Candidate for UIN Ar Raniry). (dsy)