Jakarta, IO – The riot in Wamena district, Papua, killed 12 and injured 32 and caused almost a thousand of residents fled on Thursday (23/2). As many as 13 houses and two shophouses were torched.
“Today there are still many who remain at Kodim (regional military command) 1702/JWY. Around 920 people have fled because they feared that the situation may escalate,” said its spokesperson Col. Herman Taryaman, reported CNN Indonesia, Wednesday (1/3).
Meanwhile, Papua Police spokesperson Ignatius Benny Prabowo explained that the riot started at around 12.30am WIT, triggered by rumor of child kidnapping.
“We received information that there was a car heading to Yomaima village that was stopped by the people of Sinakma village who suspected the driver to be child kidnapper, so this created a tense situation in the community,” said Benny.
Benny said at that time TNI-Polri joint personnel tried to control the situation but they were attacked with stones and arrows.
“The crowd became increasingly anarchic, they did not want to listen to appeal for calm and order and refuse to disperse when they were given warning shots,” explained Benny.
Papua Police internal affairs division is said to be investigating allegations of standard operating procedure violations by the security personnel. Papua Police Chief Mathius Faakhiri said so far 16 policemen involved in the handling the riot are being investigated.
Mathius said Papua Police has also carried out a thorough evaluation regarding the implementation of the security measures by the Jayawijaya Police. Kodam XVII/Cenderawasih commander Maj. Gen. Muhammad Saleh Mustafa has also ordered the military police to investigate the involvement of military personnel in the riot. (un)